February, 6 p.m.
- Hall: Sala Manuel García
An astonishing story of equality
As its title aptly says, this story of a black slave Juan Latino who, in the 16th century, received respect and fame thanks to his talent is such an incredible tale that it has reached movie screens.
For the Spanish-Canadian company Claroscuro, the fascinating character has inspired a Baroque zarzuela that celebrates the values of tolerance and respect and makes for an authentic musical and scenic celebration. Marionettes, masks, live Baroque music, sounds which reflect mixed race and a visual picture of Spain in the Golden Age produce a compelling show that draws from painting and transforms light in the magical protagonist of this wonderful account. A story of racial overcoming, told in an enjoyable way for an audience as of age 8, in a co production of Claroscuro and the Teatro de la Zarzuela of Madrid.
Emotion and visual elegance to amaze the audience through a story of racial equality at a time of intense inequalities.
All the programming in the Sala Manuel García for the 22/23 Season is made possible thanks to the special collaboration of the Fundación Banco Sabadell.
As of age 8
Tickets on sale from Monday 3 October 2022.
- Actors directing: Larisa Ramos
- Script: Julie Vachon con la colaboración de Francisco de Paula Sánchez
- Stage direction: Larisa Ramos, Julie Vachon y Francisco de Paula Sánchez
- Musical director: Enrique Pastor
- Musical Dramaturgy, set design, lighting, and sound,: Francisco de Paula Sánchez
- Set: Ibán Sierra Caballero
- Puppets: Ibán Sierra Caballero, Lorena Fernández y Francisco de Paula Sánchez
- Masks: Julie Vachon e Ibán Sierra Caballero
- Costumes: Javier Fernández Casero
Co-producer Teatro de la Zarzuela and Claroscuro Teatro.
With the support of Festival de Música Antigua de Sevilla (FeMÀS), Festival Internacional de Música y Danza (Úbeda) and Festival de Música Antigua (Vélez Blanco).
School performances: 2 and 3 February, 2023. Price: 7€
Family performance: 3 February, 2023
- Low-arch vihuela: Sofía Alegre / Aurora Martínez Piqué*
- Actress and puppeteer: Julie Vachon
- Actor y puppeteer: Francisco de Paula Sánchez
- Tenor, baroque guitar and soprano bow vihuela: Enrique Pastor