October, 8 p.m.
- Duration: 170 min
- Hall: Main Auditorium
Melodies of passion
Exoticism and tragedy. Passion and betrayal. Imperialism and cultural differences. The drama of the gentle geisha Cio-Cio- San, in love with American marine Second Lieutenant Benjamin Franklin Pinkerton, chained to the poignant arias of Puccini, she continues to touch the hearts of audiences. How can one resist Viene la sera or Un bel di vedremo? Puccini sweeps us into his music. We succumb to the heights of melodrama.
In a coproduction of the Festival Castell de Peralada and the Deutsche Opera am Rheim, with two casts for five performances of an opera which, beyond its multiple readings, is a whirlwind of desire and frenzied love, of deception and lies, of the fragility and fantasy of love and how a woman’s obedience to a traditional code of honour leads to her tragic death.
- Musical director: Alain Guingal
- Stage Director: Joan Anton Rechi
- Set design: Alfons Flores
- Costume design: Mercè Paloma
- Lighting design: Alberto Rodríguez
Coproducción del Festival Castell de Peralada y Deutsche Oper am Rhein
Real Orquesta Sinfónica de Sevilla
Coro Teatro de la Maestranza
© Toti Ferrer
*Función del 7 de octubre
- Madama Butterfly: Ermonela Jaho / Carmen Solís*
- B.F. Pinkerton: Amadi Lagha / Enrique Ferrer*
- Sharpless: Damián del Castillo / Gerardo Bullón*
- Suzuki: Gemma Coma-Alabert / Cristina Faus*
- Goro: Moisés Marín
- Uncle Bonzo: Pablo López Martín
- Prince Yamadori / Imperial commissar: José Manuel Díaz
- Kate Pinkerton: Diana Larios
Considered one of today’s most acclaimed conductors of French repertoire, has conducted La traviata, Les contes d’Hoffmann, Les pêcheurs de perles, Lucia di Lammermoor, Madama Butterfly, Carmen on the important stages in Vienna, Madrid, Barcelona, Torino, Marseille, among others. His most recent engagements have included Rigoletto, Manon, Roméo et Juliette and Werther.
Joan Anton Rechi
Joan Anton Rechi studied theatre and Ancient History in Barcelona. As a stage director, his repertoire includes Il barbiere di Siviglia, L’elisir d’amore, Così fan tutte, L’italiana in Algeri, Werther, Un ballo in maschera, among many others; his productions have been seen in Madrid, Barcelona, London, San Francisco or Buenos Aires. Upcoming engagements will take him to Tel-Aviv, Venice and other stages.